Sunday, November 16, 2008

Reflecting on Three Decades

Well, today's the day. I have, indeed, turned the big 3-0. Three decades. That's a long time! Thinking of this milestone has caused me to reflect on some of the biggest events of these first three decades. Things that come to mind, in chronological order:

In 1989, my mom and I became members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don't think I fully appreciated the significance of that milestone until I got older. To say it's been a tremendous blessing and had a wonderful impact on shaping the person I am would be a huge understatement.

In May of 1997, I graduated from South Greene High School, the co-valedictorian of my class, no less. I say that not to brag so much as to prove that, if I can do it, anyone can with some effort and determination. I was nowhere near the smartest kid in my class, but I'd guess I put in more work than the other kids.

In August 1997, I began my adventures at the University of Tennessee. I can safely say those were the best years of my life to date. It was also at this time that I met Carrie, my roommate, who shockingly enough, is STILL my roommate! She's been a great friend and confidant, and we've shared some good laughs over a decade. Kelly and Jenny were also part of the good times back in those days, but alas, through it all, the original roommates are still roommates. It would be impossible to list all the memories from those years in one blog.

In May 2001, our fun times in Knoxville came to an end, as we graduated from the College of Communications. Seven years later, I still find myself longing for football Saturdays and having all my meals available at the swipe of a card. I don't, however, miss the busy work and writing research papers! Somehow I managed to be the top graduate in the College of Communications in the Spring 2001 commencement. I'll refer back to my comments about high school graduation to explain that feat. I'm telling you, if I can do it, anyone can!

Just a few days after our graduation, we hit the road to move to Orlando. This was no small move since most everyone who grows up in Greeneville, Tennessee, STAYS in Greeneville, Tennessee! I've missed my family every day since then, but it's proved to be a great decision. I've matured a lot living so far away, and I'm proud of the self-reliance it has fostered. And hey, let's be honest, if you're going to move away from home, Orlando's a pretty cool place to be. :-)

Of course there are a million other things that have happened over the course of three decades, but those are the biggies. Certainly along the way I've met some wonderful people who have been tremendous friends and mentors and played a significant part in my life. I'm grateful for each and every one of you!

I've been remarkably blessed in these first 30 years. God has truly been good to me and my family. Here's hoping my "next 30 years" (as the great philosopher Tim McGraw sings) will go just as well, if not better. I've experienced much, but there's MUCH more to come. I look forward to the journey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can take the girl out of Tennessee,but her blood will always run orange!Your milestones have been mine as well. I pray that you'll continue to learn and reap the blessings that you work so hard to acheive.Happy birthday,MOM.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I've gotten to share a good chunk of the last 6 or 7 of those years with you. You're a great person and I'm better for having gotten to know you. Lunch has never been the same since I've been up north.

Anonymous said...

In 30 years....no mention of Mr. V? Are you keeeeeeeeding?

Unknown said...

Hope you had a great birthday! :) My brother considered his life "a journey" too. Thank you for sharing a part of your journey with me. You are a great friend.