Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Free Soccer" Abounds

Growing up in the South, I'm not much of a soccer fan, and I've never made any secret of that fact. However, I have to say, I saw some exciting soccer this weekend at our conference's women's soccer tournament.

A total of five matches comprised the tournament, and all five went into overtime. Four of the five went to double-overtime, with three of those ending in penalty kick shootouts. Kudos to Saint Leo's senior goalkeeper, Lauren Hudson, who not only held her own TWICE against the firing squad, but also converted one of the PKs herself in Sunday's final. That would be the equivalent of sending your pitcher out to take bats in the home run derby. Unreal!

In addition to the thrillers, we were treated to spectacular weather for this weekend's tournament. Beautiful blue skies and sunshine were the backdrop for some exciting games. So, even though I had to watch three soccer matches in two days, and even though the last of those three kept me out of church, all-in-all, I'd say we had a pretty good event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A far cry from the days when the prediction of a Saint Leo-Florida Southern final (and Barry sitting at home) would have resulted in being fitted for a straight jacket.